I called up 10 male friends above 40 years old and asked them if they ever had a Testosterone ( T) Level Test .
“ A whatttttt?” was the answer , and I was not surprised. I explained and they went like “ Oh…….ok” .
Granted maybe they were in super healthy conditions and had no medical problems whatsoever , hence never needed to do a T –Test .
Testosterone testing is used to diagnose several conditions in men, women, girls, and boys.
These conditions include :
- Decreased sex drive in men and women
- Erectile dysfunction in men
- Infertility in men and women
- Testicular tumors in men
- Pituitary disorders
- Delayed or early puberty in boys
- Excessive body hair in girls and women
- Masculine physical characteristics in girls and women
A testosterone test measures the amount of testosterone in the blood. It is also called a serum testosterone test as it measures the total amount of the hormone in the serum , the amount of Free T in the serum and the bioavailable amount – which is the combination of free T and albumin-bound T.
The best time to take a Testosterone level test is between 7am and 10am when the T level is the highest.
How is the T level Test Done?
Its just a simple test where a small amount of blood is drawn . You will usually have to wait for a few days for the results.
Alternatively, there is also a home DIY kit to have your own T level checked by checking your saliva. Reliability of such test is debatable .The saliva test only tests free T . In any case if the results are not normal , it is advisable to do a proper blood serum test for T level.
Home DIY kits :
- Measures “Total” Testosterone (T) hormone levels in men and women.
- Everything is included, including a prepaid mailer. No additional fees.
- The blood spot sample is collected with a finger stick at home, then sent to the lab for analysis. High Tech, accurate, reliable.
- Men who also want to test “Free” testosterone can add a saliva testosterone test.
- Blood Spot Test Kits cannot be sent to New York State.
Testosterone Level Hormone Balance Test Kit – Saliva
- 1 test – measures “free” testosterone in saliva.
- Collect saliva sample at home, send to the lab in convenient prepaid mailer.
We will discuss Testosterone levels in the next post . Meantime…have you taken your T level Test ?